Skip to main content

tv   FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  December 22, 2013 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
>> they are the good news. but the bad news is in there and state capitols everywhere they keep adding more red tape. they should stop, but >> i'm chris wallace, another obamacare change has in the insurance industry and runs up in arms. >> since i'm in charm -- in charge obviously we screwed it up. >> former arkansas governor mike huckabee weighs in on the latest rewrites of obamacare. and we'll ask what he means about keeping the door open for a 2016 presidential run, as well as getting his take on the "duck dynasty" controversy. mike huckabee only on fox news sunday. plus, special message for the holiday season. >> to me, christmas, the berth of christ and also about making memories. not necessarily, did i get the right gift.
11:01 pm
>> lakewood church senior pastor and beth-selling author, joel ol' steen on the spiritual state of our union this christmas. and our power player of the week with a mission to lay a wreath at each and every veteran's grave. >> i think 2.7 million graves, and that's a tall order to decorate 2.7 million graves. >> all right now on "fox news sunday." hello again from fox news in washington. mike huckabee is fond of saying he is a conservative, just not angry about it. his folksy brand of politics made him a surprisingly strong candidate for president in 2008 and a surprise dropout last time. now he is surprising people again, talking about running for president in 2016. and joining us is the former arkansas governor and host of huckabee on fox news channel, mike huckabee. governor, welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> thank you very much. great to be with you, merry christmas. >> merry christmas to you and
11:02 pm
your family. this week the president made still another change to obamacare, partly suspending the individual mandate for people whose policies have been cancelled. how too you see all this working after the first of the year when people actually start going to their doctors under this new system? >> it's not working out very well, especially for the people who had insurance and who liability what they had. they were promised they could keep it. we know that was not true and that why president obama was named the holder of the lie of the year from politifacts. the buzz words the democrats make is we can't make these changes because it's the law of the land, yet we see the president making all kinds of arbitrary changes to obamacare because the law of the land is beating people up and taking from people the insurance they had and they liked, taking from them their doctors they had and they liked, and it was supposed to be $2,500 per family less
11:03 pm
expensive. it's now thousands of dollars more expensive for most families. it's anything but the affordable care act. >> but estimates are, good, that for all its problems, in the end, obamacare will extend coverage to 30 million people who are now uninsured. the latest estimate of republicans plan is it would only cover 3 million of the uninsured. do republicans -- does the g.o.p. need to have an answer, an alternative, that will reach those 30 million people are is that just not a priority. >> it ought to be apriority but the priority should be to deal with the 15% of poem people who didn't have insurance rather than disrupt the system for those who did and were largely satisfied with insurance, as much as anybody is satisfied with insurance. we should recognize of the 15%, about half of them were insurable. they just didn't want insurance. rather spend their money on buying a new truck or investing
11:04 pm
in an added room on the house. but there are people who are uninsurable, and for those people there should be a safety net, but the problem is, with obamacare, you're putting them into me main marketplace, which skews the cost for the rest of the market. what we should have done is something that was comparable to back in 1982. ronald reagan signed a bill, the tax equity family relief act. operates in 19 states, arkansas is one of them. what we did in our program was take people who had severe developmental disabilities, for example, and sometimes those medical expenses can be into the hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. well, there's no way family can afford that. but the only way for them to qualify for medicaid would be to imimpoverish the family. that doesn't make sense. so we say the things comparable, a premium, deductible and copay but reasonable premium and
11:05 pm
deductible and co-pay and then the government subsidize the people whose medical expenses are extraordinary. i don't think most republicans, most conservatives, would or should have a problem with that, and if they do they need to get over it. it could be them. and i think what we need to do is approach the problem of the uninsurable. then you have a more reasonable and responsible marketplace for people to buy insurance, but buy what they wanted, and what they needed. frankly, chris, i don't need maternity coverage. i don't need drug and alcohol counseling. but i'm going to have to pay for it under obamacare. >> let me switch subjects on you dramatically. the "duck dynasty" controversy. when that broke you announced you were setting up your own facebook page -- we have it on the screen -- i stand with phil, with the gel of getting 1 million people to sign up. why is this such a big deal? >> i think it's come to a paint in our culture where political correctness has made it so if
11:06 pm
you want to take a point of view that is traditional, that holds to steadfast, old father,ed biblical christian values -- already values a divisional judaism and even islam, you're supposed to shut up and keep that to yourself. but if you want to advocate for same-sex marriage, we're supposed to be tolerant. i'm tolerant of people who have a position on that issue that is contrary to mine. but i'm not tolerant of the intolerance, and so we have seen there's a new level, bullying on the part of the mill stand activists groups, who if anyone says something that holds to the same position that barack obama held in 2008 when he as a saddleback church with john mccain made it very clear he opposed same-sex marriage and said he did so because he was a christian and because of his biblical views. well, if that position was okay in 2008, how come it isn't okay
11:07 pm
in 2013? >> governor -- >> or 2014. >> i think the counterargument would be, it isn't just the fact that phil robertson said he disagreed with it or felt it was a sin. it's how he said it. let's put that up on the screen robertson in this article called homosexuality a sin and then said start with homosexual behavior and more from there bestiality, sleeping with this woman and that woman and those men, and then paraphrasing corinthians, he said they won't inherit the kingdom of god, and when asked about blacks in louisiana, before the civil rights movement, he said, free entitlement, free welfare, you say, were they happy? they were godly. they were happy. no one was singing the blues. are you not offended by any of that? not the substance but the way he expressed it and how he said it? >> he said it in a way that would be a little more probably appropriate for the duck woods than for the pages of a major
11:08 pm
news magazine. i will say i think i saw the world of the south differently than maybe he did growing up in south arkansas, but that being said, this issue was never about those comments. this issue was specific live about glad and the human rights campaign protesting to a&e over his comments regarding same-sex relationships. let's keep in mine that for a christian to talk about sin, homosexuality is no more than sinful to a christian than is pride or lust so if a person who is totally heterosexual lusts in his heart after a woman, that's as much sin as any other decision. there's no decision which sin is the most important. they're all out of the glory, out of the perfect will and mind of a holy god. so that's the whole point of being a christian. we're all sinners. none of us are perfect. none of us have measured up. >> the reason we originally invited you on before this news,
11:09 pm
you gave several interviews this week in which you left the -- you know what you're doing, left the door wide open to possibly running for president in 2016. now, as we said back in 2011, when a lot of people thought you were greg to run, you didn't, and here's what you said then. >> all the people say go, but my heart says no, and that's the decision that i've made. >> governor? what's changed? >> well, i don't in the that anything has changed so dramatically in the circumstances because i would never make this decision just based on circumstances. it would be a decision of the heart. i tried to be honest in all of my evaluations, not only back in 2011 but even now. so when people ask me, are you open to the possibility? the honest answer is, yes. does that mean i'm running? i don't honestly know. there's a lot of time between now and then, and, frankly, the republicans have a strong stable of possible candidates. what i'm looking for is to find out whether it's the right thing
11:10 pm
for me to do, and i'm not ready to make that decision. but i just don't want to tell people, oh, no, i wouldn't even open my mind to it, because that would be, frankly, dishonest at this point. >> forgive me. you're being a little coy because you did an interview in "the new york times" and the "washington post" and you seemed to kind of be putting it out there more than just sort of saying, well, i'm not closing it off. i understand that it's 2013 and that's an eternal in politics. chances you'll run, better or less than 50/50. >> i would say it is perspective fifth. -- it is 50/50. i the only reason i talked to the news entities is because they asked me. i didn't solicit them and say, i'd love to have an interview with you and let's talk about 2016 and mike huckabee. that wasn't how it came about. but people have approached me and asked me about it other. i've had friends who said let's do a poll and see if you're even in the mix. those are things you at least
11:11 pm
listen to, and so right now i've got other things i have to focus on, and i'll just keep that option open and make a decision after the 2014 election. >> part of your appeal, if you do run, is that you're a populist who is concerned about reaching out to minorities, the working class folks, who don't typically or certainly in the last election didn't vote republican and you're also, like the president, interested in income inequality. i want to put up something you said at an event. we we devalue people who are poor. we do not deem them worthy of the same level of treatment we give those who are connected to the real axis of evil in this country, the axis of power that exists between washington and wall street. i must say i was struck by that. axis of evil between washington and wall street? >> well, there's such a collusion, chris, between what happens in the financial world and the political world. one hand washes another and one
11:12 pm
feeds another. and who takes it in the teeth? it's most of the working class people of america. big banks get bailed out. big insurance companies bailed out. who bails them out? washington bails them out. why? because there's campaign contributions. politicians are resenting a single mom is getting assistance to put food on her children, busting her backside trying to help her children, and and those same people that resent that single mom, are going ahead and saying, but it's perfectly okay to bail out to the tune of bills big banks who are run by ivy league people who should have known better how to recklessly mismanage. the point i make and people misunderstand, i don't want the government coming in and creating a situation where they determine what income equality looks like. i think the government can mess more up than they can ever fix. so the last thing i want is more and bigger government getting involved. but i do want there to be a
11:13 pm
calling out and an attention given to the fact that a lot of the crisis in america is not a money crisis. it's the moral crisis of people who seem to have a complete disconnect with working class people. the rope that's important -- the more in common withant to me, i people working in the kitchen than to the folks at the head table. i had to learn how to sit at the head table. i didn't have to learn how to connect to the people who were bringing the food out to the head table. >> governor, i got say, if you do run for president, i expect you'll be a very formidable candidate. thank you for coming in today, and also we say goodbye, you talk about things you're going to be doing. we want to note you're starting your own new web site next year, called, he huckabee post. good luck with that, and merry christmas to you, sir. >> thank you so much, chris. have a wonderful christmas. >> same to you. up next, the obamacare deadline is just around the corner but the rules keep changing. our sunday group joins us to discuss that and the growing
11:14 pm
calls for reform at the nsa. plus, this holiday season, have we lost the true meaning of christmas? pastor joel osteen will be here later, and tell us what you think on facebook and share your favorite moments from today's show. fighting constipation by eating healthier, drinking plenty of water, but still not getting relief? try dulcolax laxative tablets. dulcolax is comfort-coated for gentle, over-night relief. dulcolax. predictable over-night relief you can count on.
11:15 pm
11:16 pm
11:17 pm
>> the basic structure of the lace working despite all the problems, despite the web site problems and the messaging problems, despite all that it's working. >> the president on friday maintaining despite all the problems with the web site and insurance policies being canceled, obamacare is still doing what it's supposed to, and
11:18 pm
it's time for our sunday group, george will, kirsten powers, charles krauthammer, and political analyst, juan williams. the president continues, and did this week to take unilateral action without going back to congress, first on big business, then on small business, and then this week, partly suspending the individual mandate. george, i want to begin with a question i asked governor huckabee. what do you expect to happen on january 2nd when people under the new statement have to go to their doctors and get health care. >> there's going to be a backlash cubed. at this point, chris, it's very hard to quantify. perhaps most of the law has already in some sense been waived or otherwise suspended. the president says this week that the suspensions of the employer mandate and individual mandate, et cetera, et cetera,
11:19 pm
et cetera, do not go to the core of the law. if not that, what is the core of the law? by now at it seems to me fair to say three things. first, if he told the truth about the law, about keeping your doctor and your health care, you probably wouldn't have been elected in 2012. second, he'd be better off today if in 2012 the chief justice had voted the other way and struck down the law. wouldn't be such a burden on this presidency. buttoned -- buttoned that we have now added to incompetence and dishonesty, make it up fairness when he says if you had health insurance and it was cancelled, you're preferred. if you didn't, you can still be punished by the government for not getting it. the people just think it's unfair. >> it's pretty bleak. also creating sort of chaotic, and when it comes to health care, which is something that is personal to every person to have this since of chaos to not know
11:20 pm
when he keeps changing the rules of what people have to do, now do you have to get health insurance or not it's confusing to a lot of people if they're required to have it. then you have situations like the oregon health exchange sending out notes to everybody saying, if you don't hear from us by january 1st, you should get health insurance somewhere else. that's scary to people. i think this isn't as it was sold, and i think that as george is right, as we get to january 1st, 2nd, and start seeing people maybe not having health insurance, thinking they did, it's going to get worse. >> i want to good back to this point that george was talking about, because the president, in his news conferencen friday, said none of these problems get to the core of obamacare. you can argue whether that's true. and 85% of americans have benefited from the benefits that you get under obamacare. charles, your reaction to that, and is it possible that, for all
11:21 pm
the problems so far, that they can get this worked out and that as we get to -- a month at random -- by most november, most people are saying, obamacare is okay. >> possibly. highly unlikely. one of the things he did. one of the reasons it strikes at the heart of obamacare, is that what he has done is to take away the financial structure underneath it. the reason the insurers are upset about what just happened is because he is now told the whole class of people, you don't have to be in the exchanges, and these are people who are probably healthier and the younger ones who are going to be outside of the exchanges, which means that the cost to insure the people left in the exchanges is going to be exorbitant, and there's no way he can hold the line on this. because of the unfairness. if you're exempting people who had insurance and were cancelled and you're exempting them from
11:22 pm
the fine and the requirement of getting insurance, there's no way you can require -- fine people who didn't have insurance in the past. so, you're going to have an abolition of the individual mandate, already -- the insurers understand they're going to be completely ruined and what's going to happen as a result of this? only one way out. a huge government bailout of the insurers is waiting at the end of next year. and that is an issue that republicans ought to focus on right now. it's the only way that obamacare will survive, and it ought to be stopped before it happens. it ought to be -- congress ought to say, no bailout, particularly because this isn't a natural disaster. it's a manmade disaster. >> i want to bring up, juan, the hardship exemption, which these people who lost their poll skis are now not going to have to sign up or can sign up for the
11:23 pm
bare bones, the hardship exemption was supposed to be if your house was blown away by hurricane sandy you had a hardship insurance, couldn't afford to pay for health insurance. the hardship exemption here is obamacare. >> no. >> yeah, it is. the fact your policy was cancelled by obamacare, so, therefore -- >> i think there's going to be a big lump in all of your christmas stockings. i just think these are -- you guys are like looking at the negatives. so heavily. so invested in purse -- cursing out obama. i think if you look at the reality of what has happened here, you have people who say there's a market. we saw a million people already signed up despite all the problems. there's a market there the second thing to say is -- and the president said this -- this is a problem that exists don't speak to the core issue. most of us have insurance
11:24 pm
through our employers. no change for them. for the people in the individual market, most of them who were cancelled have already gotten new policies. >> for more of the amount. >> more or less. gotten new policies. so we're talking about a half million people and a half million people, some of whom were under 30, were eligible for this catastrophic program. so what we're talking about, but now, young people might be coming in who shouldn't be in there, so we're talking about maybe 250,000 people and yet as this table this morning, it's like, woe is me, obamacare is done and it's the end of the world. >> briefly, because there is one person who is directly affected. you lost your policy. >> it's not just a handful of people who lost their policies and it's people who frankly are responsible, who had insurance, who are now being punished, and even for some of these people who think it's a hardship
11:25 pm
exemption, they're going to -- they don't really have a lot of options. the insurance companies aren't going to give you back your old policy. the obamacare policies are too expensive for a lot of these people, and so now you have the responsible people who had insurance, not having insurance? how is that helpful and how is that part of insuring the people had health insurance? >> we can keep talking about this, and we will, but i want to talk about the other big story and that is the growing call for restrictions on nsa surveillance of americans. we had a federal district judge who said that the bulk collection of phone records, billions of phone records of americans, is likely unconstitutional. you had the presidential panel come up with 46 recommendations or restrictions. president indicates he is open to some of them. george, are we in danger of letting our guard down here? >> yes, we are, on the sense that the head of the nsa has said we're not fighting a nation. we're fighting a network.
11:26 pm
they're disbursed in population in order to find the need until the hay stack, you have to assemble the haystack and that is what metadata does. the judge said there is a plausible fourth amendment case has done the nsa a favor. this may go to the supreme court -- has to because he challenged the supreme court precedent -- and the supreme court will either clarify the issue by reigning in the nsa or by saying it's all right and we'll ratify it. what the judge said the precedent based on 1979 telephone technology cannot be controlling and deciding whether a fourth amendment unreasonable search is taking place. nsa says, whether or not it's unreasonable depends on the cost benefit analysis. the cost of privacy against the benefits of security. it's an argument we need and will have it at the highest level. >> juan, the president pointed out in defending nsa
11:27 pm
surveillance, though he says he is open and i think indicates he is going accept some restrictions -- but the president said, in more than ten years of this mass collection of data, there's not a single documented case of abuse. a single case that we know of where an american's privacy has been violated. >> correct, but the larger problem is the sense that what they could be fishing around in your private -- nobody invites it. to me it's a political issue at the highest levels as george was saying. at the political level you have to be ready to say, yes, cut back and limited the powers of the nsa and that's why we that this newest attack by terrorists. we live in a very different age. not only the laws that changed and the technology changed. we live in an age of terrorism, and i think we have to say to our political leaders -- very difficult is in time when nobody trusts anybody -- yes, as long as you don't snoop around chris wallace's private e-mail, want you to be able to track patterns
11:28 pm
of terrorist communications and protect it because protecting ites the government's number one job. >> well, let me just say that my e-mails really are beyond reproach. take a break here and -- when we come back, is a&e's suspension of "duck dynasty" star phil robertson justified in our panel tackles that next. >> plus, we asked you to weigh in on a controversy online good. to twitter at fox news sunday and we may use your question on the air. i do a lot oresearch on angie's list before i do any projects on my home. i love my contractor, and i am so thankful to angie's list for bringing us together. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust.
11:29 pm
11:30 pm
11:31 pm
so hypocritical of a&e, they say they're for diversity and tolerance and minority views and opinions, unless you disagree with them. >> views of homosexuality is a sin is a religious tenet of men, men americans and we ought to
11:32 pm
respect people who believe that, but his language was crude and offensive. >> louisiana governor bobby jindal and karl rove joining the debate over comments by phil robertson of "duck dynasty" and the decision by the a&e cable channel to suspend him. i'm calling an audible. we'll talk about that in a moment, but charles -- actually even invoked the fact his abest-selling author, he says he wants to talk about the nsa. charles, the floor is yours. >> i can't believe you did that. >> that's what you said to me. >> off the air, yeah. in confidence. never -- >> the clock is ticking. >> that's okay. i'll be concise. i think on the issue of the nsa, the controlling decision of '79 is different because the deck nothing is different. >> the decision in 199 was if you have phone records you don't
11:33 pm
have any expectation of privacy because the phone company has those records. >> so,ing at the nothing has changed and--- -- technology has changed and our response to 9/11. a decade ago might not be applicable to what is happening today and, therefore, the decision ought not to come from the courts, which is immutable. it should be a moving decision that will change over time and ought to come out of congress. >> very well said, sir. >> i think it was worth the interruption. >> if know you do. anyway, george, "duck dynasty," i'm sure you said so yourself i never thought i'd be talking about an a&e cable show. i want to start with a question we got on twitter. let's put it up. in the context of this controversy. is political correctness killing our freedom? >> no, our freedom is secure. this is a week in which new mexico and utah became the 17th and 18th states to acquire by judicial decision
11:34 pm
same-sex marriage in the same week, wal-mart. 's supply of "duck dynasty" merchandise pulled out like that as a sign of support for mr. robertson. his first amendment rights are not in danger. first amendment protects individuals from government action that was either priorly restrains future -- this is an argument between him and his employer, let them sort it out. what we see here -- and this is the the question.political correctness -- the new biggest entitlement is to go through life without being offended. people think they have a right not to have their feelings hurt, and have their sensibilities. jefferson said is dot me no home if my neighbor believes in 20 god or one god. neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg. we have worked for millenia to get to the point where we say the law will protect our
11:35 pm
possessions and our persons and not our feelings, and people have to get over it. >> what about governor jindal's commentses that hollywood and the left are all for tolerance and for minority opinions as long as you don't disagree with them. >> a terrible argument. does he seriously believe if you hold a minority position that, like the blacks shouldn't be married, that's acceptable? is that what he is saying? we should all think that? the opinion here is not that this person supports traditional marriage. the point here is that he is a big bigot on many levels and said big gots people about not just gay people but african-americans that is not getting that much coverage. a video was found of him speaking in 2010 saying that gay people are ruthless, full of murder, arrogant, likely to do evil. this is not a person who says marriage is between a man and woman. if he just said that, there's no
11:36 pm
controversy of the controversy is over the fact he is saying bigoted, hateful things that are not found in the bible. >> charles, i want you to respond to a question on facebook from james who asked: why are conservatives making a big deal about this? >> well, look, i think it is overstated what's going on. it isn't a matter of rights or the first amendment. that's government compulsion. we're talking about here cultural compulsion, and i think that a lot of it that we ought not have in the country and we work it out without any real rules. at some point you're way over the line and people will punish you and the culture will have you fired. on others i think there are more equivocal, and this is a dispute between a private party and a network making a lot of money off another private party, and it can decide if it thinks that
11:37 pm
person has gone over the line or not. the personal decision and it will be adjudicated in the end by whether the boycotters of the network by stronger than the boycotters of the products -- of those who are opposing it. i do think there's one irony here, which is that gays who have heroic include fought for equality in the marketplace and in housing and military, in marriage, and asked for tolerance and acceptance, having achieved it, were largely achieved it, ought to think about using their influence and power to delegitimize intolerance towards other, who still think, as was pointed out by governor huckabee, the same way obama did in 2008. it can't be that illegitimate if the president himself, whom all of us will say is not a bigot, had those biblical approaches in 2008.
11:38 pm
>> juan? >> i think the reason that the right is so strongly backing this, they think there's a potential wedge issue, especially with older white eran general cal voter -- evangelical voters. >> this is politics. >> heavily political. it's not a first amendment issue. talking about that -- i had a best-selling book on this topic because i got fired for saying something that somebody didn't like. now, when i got fired, it was, i think, part of an honest debate about terrorism in our society. my employer didn't like it and fired me. my point is, this is not about honest debate. what was said actually shuts down debate but a is invites -- it was ugly language about homosexual acts and invites bigotry and invites people to hate people who are gay and to see them -- this is amazing because it's not in the christian tradition -- to make judgments about them and put them in a box. i think it was very ugly.
11:39 pm
you think the right goes after martin bashir, remember that? they want -- >> comments about -- >> remember dixie chicks or tim robbins or bill mahr. all of that, the right says get them out of here. but when people then -- they then want to cry foul when people are intolerant of them. that's very political. >> to be continued. interesting discussion. my guess dismiss people will be talking about over he holidays more than obamacare. thank you for joining us. up next, lakewood church pastor joel osteen how to break out and stop limiting ourselves this holiday season.
11:40 pm
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
11:43 pm
his positive message of hope and faith is watched by millions of people in this country and around the world. and his new book called "breakout" became an instant best seller. this week we sat down once again with the pastor of lakewood church in houston, joel osteen, and in case you wonder it was before the controversy of "duck dynasty" broke. >> pastor joel, welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> great to be with you. >> you have a new book called "breakout." break out from what? >> it's breaking out of a rut. sometimes we can get stuck in life. just thinking that i've gone as far as i can go, and a lot of times, even myself, i never dreamed i'd be a minister. i told my dad i can't speak in front of people. so we put limitations on our own selves, i'm not that talented, take those limits off yourself. the first place you have to break out is in your mind. >> we talked about it last time
11:44 pm
and i'm guilty of it. i guess you made me realize we all are. we have this negative dialogue going on inside our brains. >> there is a -- a lot of people -- we're talking to ourselves all the time. some people don't realize it. psychologists call it our internal dialogue. some people think negative, i'm not that smart, not going to be a good dad, it's raining. you have to change that dialogue. till people don't be against yourself. you got enough people in life against you. don't be against yourself. we should be thinking thought0s of i'm talented, smart, got what i need. >> a lot of the limits we face in our life are limit wes put or yourselves. >> i really believe that and i say that from my own experience of thinking i'd never be here in front of you. i can't talk in front of people. i've told my dad that for 17 years. when my dad died and i took over the church, it's grown, and here i am. so i think we put a lot of limits on ourself. >> you say the answer is a concept that you called in your
11:45 pm
book, further fasting. >> it's about having faith in god, believing you're a person of destiny, that god can take you further faster. i call it one touch of god's favor can put you 50 years down the road. we think i'll never get out of debt or out of jail or the medical report. it takes god moving things in your direction to put you where you think you could never good. >> you certainly would agree that just believing in yourself or just -- that's not going to necessarily feed the bulldog as the line goes. >> that's the start, though. if you're negative and against yourself and discouraged, you don't have any dreams, that's the -- that's going to limit you. you have to put faith behind your actions. you have to use what god has given you. take some steps of faith, develop your gifts, talents, be disciplined, focused. i think it does start where if you just say, this is it, you're not going to have the drive to move forward. >> let's take a macro look at
11:46 pm
where we are as we approach christmas and the end of the year. when you survey the state of our spiritual union, what encourages you? >> well, what encourages me, chris, is that it seems like faith is an all-time high in one sense, never dreamed we would have churches in a basketball arena. it's part of society seems like it's going down in my world if see faith at an all-time high. >> and conversely, being a realist, when you survey the state of our spiritual union, what worries you? >> well, i think sometimes it concerns me just where some of the society is going, just -- i just think sometimes it's not as honorable as it could be. some of that worries me. and a lot of -- i don't know if is worries me but concerns me --
11:47 pm
is the respect for mankind, not being -- seems like there can be times, with the internet, mean spirited stuff that comes out, and that can be more prevalent today in the old days you had to send a letter to be critical, and i don't like that part of it. >> i know that you don't like to talk about politics particularly. but i'm going to -- talk about issues that have a political but also a moral component in 2014, this next year, the supreme court has agreed it's going to hear a case involving the birth control mandate in obamacare, the idea of whether or not the government can say to a for-profit company you have to provide the option for birth control and health insurance, even if that violates the owner of that company's religious, spiritual beliefs. where do you come down on that? >> i would come down on the fact that i don't like to see that happen. i believe that just from an
11:48 pm
overall perspective, the constitution protects us to practice our faith and would just -- i hope that wouldn't happen. >> with the president and the administration was saying is, if i'm an employee at a company, it's not -- it isn't the owner. i'ming whether or not i want to use birth control. >> you know, think it's a fine line. i don't know where it will fall out. maybe an broader term issue just -- as a minister, a pastor, having thought of it as the company's terms, i wouldn't like the government being able to tell me, maybe i couldn't practice the faith in the way i'd like to. >> time magazine just named pope francis person of the year. what do you think of this new pope? >> i like the new pope. i like -- i'm sure there's certain things that people may not agree with, but i like the fact he has made the church more inclusive. i do think for a while even, american churches -- seemed like we try to marrow it done, say
11:49 pm
who can't come to my church. i'd rather throw a wide net. the church is not a place for perfect people. it's for all of to us come and find help and guidance and restoration. >> billy graham is perhaps this nation's greatest evangelist ever. now 95. by all accounts in declining health. what do you think billy graham's legacy will be in. >> i think at least to me it will be man of faithfulness, of integrity, somebody that stayed the course. and i think about the 50, 60 years ago when billy graham was starting, he had a lot of critics, people trying to tell him he couldn't fulfill his calling. he just stayed with it. and really he inspires younger mi me to just stay focused on the main thing god called you to do and not let people talk you out of it, and to live a life of integrity. i love the fact he is finishing strong. >> as we get together once again on the holiday season -- and i
11:50 pm
consider it a privilege when i get to sit down with you -- i'm going to ask you about a controversy involving this day. what do you think? is there a war on christmas? >> well, you know, from one sense i see what people are saying. i'm an optimist. i think there's always things coming against faith and i don't think that's going to stop people of faith. i do think that society is changing. it's not like it was when i was growing up. and one sense maybe there is but those kind of things doesn't stop my faith, doesn't discourage me. the scriptures say it's going to get darker in the world but bright are for the church and believers. so another way to let our light shine bright lie. >> do you think there's a conscious effort to take the religious meaning out of the holiday. >> certain groups would like to. i've seen the billboards in new york and different places. so certain groups would like to. but there are still millions of people of faith, and if they took it out in their own minds
11:51 pm
or through the media somehow, not going to change thefight in our hearts. so, i'm probably not as concerned about it as others. >> when people say, happy holidays instead of merry christmas, do you view that as just people trying to be inclusive? view it as perhaps religious political correctness going overboard? >> i think a little of both. it doesn't bother me. i just -- again i try not to let surface type things like that bother me. i know it's about jesus and his birth and all. i i'm not offended by that. i think, too, i realize traveling a lot, not everybody believes like me. they're not all -- we're not all christians in this nation. even some christians believe differently. i'm open to respect everyone and it's not going to offend me if, when i pray in jesus' name and somebody doesn't, that doesn't offend me. >> what about is -- this is not a new development but it does seems to keep getting worse, all the commercialism of christmas.
11:52 pm
what do you make when it seems as if this holiday is all about presents and parties and not about the birth of jesus. >> you know, it is -- i couldn't agree with you more. gets so hectic and commercialized. i don't know we can change it. we have to come back and say i am going to remind my family what the season is about. i think to not get so caught up in having the perfect gift, to me christmas -- the birth of christ, number one and also about making memories. not necessarily, did i get the exact right gift. it's did i spend time? did i make memories with my family? did we laugh and have time to love and respect each other? i think sometimes we get so caught up and stressed over the holiday meal, we don't take time to enjoy each other personally. we may not have another christmas together. i hope we all do but each day is a gift from god. >> i can't think of a better and more appropriate christmas message to all of our viewers, pastor joel, always a pressure
11:53 pm
to you to you and all of the osteens, merry christmas. >> thank you. and to you and your viewers, god bless. >> up next our power play of the week, honoring america's fallen this christmas eve. this is the quicksilver cash back card from capital one. it's not the "juggle a bunch of rotating categories" card. it's not the "sign up for rewards each quarter" card. it's the no-games, no-messing-'round, no-earning-limit-having, do-i-look-like-i'm-joking, turbo-boosting, heavyweight-champion- of-the-world cash back card. thiss the quicksilver cash back card from capital one. unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, everywhere, every single day. now tell me, what's in your wallet?
11:54 pm
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
christmas tradition to share the story how one family has found a way express the meaning of the holiday season. it's a moving example of love for our country and personal generosity. once again, here's our power player of the week. >> we wouldn't have the opportunities if it wasn't for the people that fought for us. and gave their lives for us. >> it's that plain spoken wisdom that has driven him for years, on a mission that touched america's heart. each december he places wreaths at arlington national cemetery and thousands of volunteers are there to help him. >> i think a lot of people think like i do and just want to -- they appreciate the veterans and they want to show it. >> this story begins back in 1962. when, then a 12-year-old paper boy from maine, won a trip to washington.
11:57 pm
what impressed him most was arlington. the beauty and dignity and those rows and rows of graves. >> every one represents a life and a family and a story. they're not just tombstones. those are all people. >> 30 years later in 1992, he was running his own wreath company in maine. but has christmas approached he had a bunch left over. >> these wreaths were real fresh. just made. and i just didn't wont to throw them away. >> he thought of arlington and all those graves. when the cemetery approved, he and a dozen volunteers drove the wreaths down and laid them on the head stones. and so it continued for years, until a few christmases back, when an air force sergeant took his picture which end up on the internet. >> struck a nerve and people e-mailed it to each other and i went around the world. >> one right there.
11:58 pm
>> we were there the next year as he and his workers at the worcester wreath company loaded up 5,265 wreaths. then they embark on what worcester calls the world's longest veteran's parade. a 750-mile journey that at some point attracted more than 100 vehicles. and when they got to arlington so many people wanted to participate. >> the ceremony you're about to witness is an army replaying ceremony. to be conducted for the worcester wreath company. >> for years they paid for all of this out of his own pact, and he started wreaths across america, sending hundreds to cemeteries and war memorials around the country. but he needs help to reach his new goal. >> i think around 2.7 million graves, and that's a tall order to decorate 2.7 million graves. so, -- >> you'd like to do it. >> i would. sometime -- i don't know how but, hey, t.
11:59 pm
>> how long are you going to keep doing this? >> keep doing it as long as i work, and then i know my family is going to continue. it will be here for a long time. >> this is the 22nd year worcester has taken on his christmas keith project at arlington and other veteran cemetery's in all 50 states and overseas. more than 540,000 wreaths and google donated 50 poo thousand to help worcester continue his work, and that's it for today. comp on, guys, come on in. with three of the wallace grandchildren here, we want to wish you a great week, a happy new year, this is caroline, james, and william. have a very merry christmas from our family to yours and we'll see you next fox -- that's it.
12:00 am
say merry christmas, everybody. >> merry christmas. condition since then. that's it for us. in two seconds, huckabee. >> tonight on huckabee. in 2010, the president dismissed his reextendation for catastrophic injury. >> would you be satisfied if every member had catastrophic insurance. >> it makes sense in which we are transitioning to a system that is higher and folks are caught in the tranition. >> the wyoming's senator reaction tonight. >> christmas a time for giving. he's giving those who can't afford to to get home for the holidays. plus your tweets on


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on